Let’s talk Keto Coffee!
Sounds like a whole lotta fun, right?
I am a self-proclaimed coffee addict. And honestly, I don’t even need my coffee to be great, I just need it to be caffeinated to help me keep up with my busy lifestyle.
I’m sure ya’ll know what that’s like.
As busy people, you know just how convenient Starbucks is. They’re in nearly every town, they have a pretty dang efficient drive-thru, and you can use the app to order, then walk in and pick up your order with no wait. The app, you guys, is my favorite invention of all time (except for maybe Ketologie)
Also, their coffee is highly caffeinated.
When you’re eating Keto, or THM:S, or Low Carb, you don’t have to miss out on Starbucks, in all of it’s caffeinated glory.
In fact, Starbucks has TONS of options that will allow you to stay in ketosis, or keep within THM:S or low-carb guidelines.
So skip the confusion in the line and order your decandent drink with clarity with my handy guide.
You May Also Like:
- Maple Pecan Latte (Copycat Starbucks, Low Carb, Keto, THM:S, Sugar Free)
- Pumpkin Spice Creamer (THM:S, Low Carb, Ketogenic, Sugar Free)
- Protein Iced Coffee (THM:S, Low Carb, Ketogenic)
- Easy Fathead Bagels (THM:S, Low Carb, Ketogenic)
- Pumpkin Spice Latte (THM:S, Low Carb, Ketogenic)
- Pumpkin Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Filling (THM:S, Low Carb, Ketogenic, Sugar-Free)
Keto Coffee: Starbucks Edition
First of all, let’s go over some guidelines for Keto and THM:S, so there’s no confusion about what you’re ordering and why.
A standard Ketogenic diet is 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% or less carbs. Read the full Ketogenic Diet 101 post here or How to Calculate Your Keto Macros if you want more information about it. Within a 2,000 calorie diet, that would be:
- 167g Fat
- 25g of (net) Carbohydrates
- 100g of Protein
So, if you’re sticking with strict Keto, you have to keep your carbs per meal very low. (Side note: Net Carbs are Total Carbs – Fiber….just an FYI)
Personally, I try to keep my drinks to 4 net carbs or less, but what you choose for carbohydrates in your drinks is entirely up you. As long as it fits your macros for the day, you’re good to go.
Want to Learn More About Keto?
- The Ketogenic Diet 101
- My 60-Day Ketogenic Experiment Results
- How To Get Rid of Keto Flu
- 7 Signs You Are In Ketosis
- How to Calculate Your Keto Macros
- The Right Way To Use an Exogenous Ketone Supplement
At Starbucks, you’ll stick with heavy cream, stevia/monk fruit, sugar-free syrups, and cinnamon. I’ll give you a bunch a different options in just a moment.
Trim Healthy Mama “S” Guidelines:
Keto Macros fit very well into THM:S Guidelines. However, if you’re not strict keto, or carb-cycling on Trim Healthy Mama, the requirements are not quite as strict.
In fact, a THM:S meal includes less than 10 grams of (net) carbs, and you must wait at least 2.5 hours in between a THM:S meal and a THM:E meal.
Read about how Trim Healthy Mama works in the post Trim Healthy Mama 101, and get answers to all your THM questions.
So, at Starbucks, you’ll want to use heavy cream, full-fat milk, cinnamon, and Stevia. Try and stay away from the sugar-free syrups, since the artificial sweeteners used in them are not THM compliant.
Bring Your Own Starbucks Add-Ins:
- Powdered MCT Oil
- MCT Oil Single-Serve Packets
- NuNaturals Single Stevia Packets
- NuNaturals Pumpkin Spice Stevia Syrup
Ok, now that that’s out of the way, here are the best Keto Starbucks Drinks.
The Easy Choices:
- Drip Coffee (Hot Coffee): Drink it black or add stevia, cream, sugar-free syrups, and maybe even a sprinkle of cinnamon if that’s your thing. I drink my coffee like this as often as I can, but if I’m getting my fix on at Starbucks, I’ll grab a handy BrainBrew MCT Oil Packet and add it to my coffee to make it bulletproof.
- Iced Coffee: Black coffee is great, but if you need a little extra, try heavy cream, and sugar-free syrups or stevia. Make sure to skip the sugary flavor syrups. I always keep a little container of MCT Oil Powder and Collagen in my car to make Bulletproof Iced Coffee.
- Espresso: Nope, no carbs in espresso! Get it with steamed milk for a quick pick-me-up.
- Cold Brew: Cold brew tastes better if you’re drinking it black (less bitterness), and I recommend adding some MCT Oil Powderand Collagen to it along with heavy cream and stevia or sugar-free vanilla syrup (f you wish).
- Hot Tea: Most of Starbucks’ hot teas are delicious and caffeinated. Add a bit of your sweetener of choice.
- Cold Tea: Same as with hot tea. Just make sure to mix the sweetener in well, as it won’t dissolve as easily in iced tea.
More Complicated (but delicious) Keto Drinks:
- An Americano: The Americano is a classic, and it’s perfectly Keto or THM:S friendly if you order it with some heavy cream. You can also add a bit of sugar-free syrup, but keep it light because the flavor can easily overpower this drink.
- A Cappucino: This really simple drink is just espresso and foamed milk. It’s really great plain, or if you like some sweetness, add sugar free syrup or a packet of stevia to it. (I also like the NuNaturals stevia packets and their Pumpkin Spice Stevia Syrup….delicious!)
- A Latte with Almond or Coconut Milk: All Starbucks now carry coconut and almond milk and will gladly include it in your latte instead of regular milk, since regular milk tends to be fairly high in carbs.
- A Latte with Heavy Cream: I like the balance of half heavy cream and half regular milk. You can also add sugar-free syrup.
- Skinny Mocha: Order it with half heavy cream and half water.
- Coffee Light Frappucino: Again, order with half heavy cream and half water, then add a few pumps of sugar-free vanilla sweetness to pump up the flavor and sweetness level.
- Sugar-Free Cinnamon Dulce Light: Yup, order it with half heavy cream and half water. So delicious!
Save Money & Keto Coffee from Starbucks
Ordering Keto or THM:S at Starbucks is actually pretty easy once you have a game plan, but it’s also really easy to make copycat Starbucks Drinks in your own home and for a fraction of the price.
Protein Iced Coffee: 30g Protein, THM:S, Low Carb, Ketogenic
Maple Pecan Latte (Just Like Starbucks) THM:S, Ketogenic, Low Carb
Pumpkin Spice Latte (Just Like Starbucks) THM:S, Ketogenic, Low Carb
Pumpkin Spice Creamer: THM:S, Ketogenic, Low Carb
Pumpkin Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Filling: THM:S, Low Carb, Ketogenic, Sugar-Free
90-Second Mug Cinnamon Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting and Browned Butter Drizzle: THM:S, Low Carb, Ketogenic, Sugar-Free
Easy Fathead Bagels
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosures for more information.